Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Style
Shakedown...





Key tricks to layering
by Leina Broughton

I love my dresses and with a few key tricks to layering it means I can wear them all year round J
 

 





















The secret is to ensure your body stays toasty and use layers without adding buly and the marshmallow man effect! Your basic starting point is your favourite dress and boots of course and then let’s start from the inside layers and work our way out to the top layers.



Thermal singlet: You can buy a great fine thermal single from one of the department stores for around $15. They are now available in very clean basic shapes and will be invisible under your dress but they add so much warmth.

Leggings: I have never been a fan of stockings, something about the foot and leg all in one and the constant pulls you get which means I prefer to wear leggings. I have tested many different types and I think the key is to spend a little bit extra to get a pair that does not pill, have a nice fine fabric and are seam free. The really cheap ones just don’t last and look ratty way too quickly…

Warm socks: The great thing about boots is wearing your favorite socks underneath, whichever color, thickness or style you choose! Again I always opt for the thermals… I just hate that feeling of being cold.


Now to the fun visible components….

Scarf: I love love love scarves… There are so many beautiful options and can totally change the look of your outfit. If you are wearing all black or dark colors, choose a beautiful print to add color and to bring attention to your face. If you are wearing all earthy tones keep the color tonal and go for a texture. Again try and avoid big bulky thick styles and choose one that is fine and feels heavenly against your skin.



Gloves and Jacket: For these 2 elements my choice is leather. If you choose the right color and style, they will keep on lasting year after year and even when they start to look a bit worn this will only add to the look. I know I am saying it again by I always think it is better to buy better quality, they last so much longer and become a real investment. My hot tips for buying leather; think classic with a contemporary edge and avoid color.. stick to black, bitter chocolate or neutral caramels or nude. If you buy a style that is too classic it ends up looking dated and old. There are some great sales on so now is the time to buy…

With a few different color scarves you can basically use the same base components (singlet, leggings, jkt, gloves) with most of your transeasonal dresses. Stay warm out there J

   xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment